DIY Meccano Necklace

Today’s post was inspired by a comment that one of my friends left on my Lego Brick Necklace post, where she wanted to know if I could try one in K’nex. While I was hunting out my old box of K’nex I came across my rather small box of Meccano. I never really liked Meccano that much so the box was quite small and this DIY pretty much used it all up. I thought while I had the K’nex out I would try giving the Meccano a go. I may have gotten so distracted by something that as a kid didn’t excite me all that much that I never got round to what I was intending to do.

What you will need;

– The Meccano in the picture below

–  Waxed Cotton Cord

You want to start by screwing these three together, but I wouldn’t do it up too tightly just yet.

Then it’s time for the other side. Again you don’t want to be doing it up too tightly.

The bottoms of both sides come together and cross over. This one can be tightened fully up.

Then it’s time for the bits for the side of the bottom. Don’t do them up that tightly yet, wait until you’ve attached them as otherwise they probably won’t fit on.

They can then be put on the bottom of the necklace. The screws that you didn’t tighten up in the last step can now be tightened up.

Now for the last bit. You need to decide on how long you want the necklace to be and cut the waxed cotton cord accordingly and tie it to the top. I’ve then added a little bit of clear nail varnish over the top just to help it stay in place a little. You can then decide where you want the top to peices of Meccano to lie and then tighten them up in the relevant position.

Your finished necklace will then look something like this…

I apologise for the quality of the final picture, no-one’s really been in at home the last couple of days and when they have it’s just been for five minutes. I do give it a go on my normal camera but after thirty odd attempts, I decided to just go for the webcam option. I’ve got an outfit post in mind for this one though, so hopefully there will be a post up in the next few weeks.

Sian

xoxo

Advertisements

DIY – Lego Brick Necklace

A few months ago I brought the Face Hunter book, in it is this amazing picture. 

For me this brings back so many memories of playing with Lego for hours on end as a kid. I had and still have a ridiculous amount of Lego hiding in a box under my bed. I loved the stuff and if I’m being honest, I still do. I remember going to Lego Land and it was honestly like being in a dream land. This photo just made me want to get my bricks out again and have a good play, so giving a similar necklace a go seemed like the perfect excuse.

What you will need:

– Lego bricks

– super glue

I ended up making slightly different shape that the rectangle used in the picture, to get the shape I used I used these bricks…

I then put these together to create this shape.

I then made fifteen of these, three in each of the five colours that I used – red, black, yellow, white and blue. I tried other combinations and colours but they just didn’t seem to work as well as the ones in the photo did, so I stuck with those colours.

Once I made them I then started linking them all together. I took of the top of each one of the links off and connected them together. You could connect them as you’re going along if you want, it doesn’t make that much difference when you do.

Your resulting necklace will then look something like this.

Once you’re happy with the colours and their order you can then start glueing it together. I’ve left one of the end bits unstuck, it does go over my head without having to undo it, it’s just a bit easier to get on and off. It also means that if I decide that I want it a little longer then I can add a few extra links. I haven’t quite decided if I’m happy with this length yet.

Hopefully I can get a picture of it actually on someone up tomorrow, I just need to get one of my friends to either model it or take a picture of me wearing it.

Ombre nails

I’ve been wanting to try this out for a while now and I honestly thought that it would be really quick and simple to get it to look good. It was reasonably quick yes, but I think getting it to look really good and even on all of my nails takes some practice, some came out really well others not so.

image

Seeing as it’s one of my favourite colours, I went for two shades of pink that although in the photo don’t look very pink – I took the photos one my phone so the colours aren’t as good – are in reality quite pink, the bright one can only be described as Barbie pink.

image

I painted a couple of coats of the bright pink on first. So far so good…

image

I then used a kitchen sponge to sponge on the lighter pink, which is when it started to get messy. Nail polish went everywhere. I think more ended up on my hands than on my nails.

image

Finally I used a topcoat to try and blend the colours together, which seemed to really bring the colours out.

I think the more I look at it, the more I’m feeling that this hand isn’t really that bad. It’s not great though but it could be worse. The other hand however is a different story. It’s horrific. I think I should be banned from painting my right hand in future it’s that bad.

Anyhoo, practise makes perfect. Hopefully next time both hands will be more even.

 

 

Sian

xoxo